Castle Rock- Athlete's Feat

back to home page

July 15, 2026
Athlete's Feat is a classic line following a prominent corner up Castle Rock's east side. It features one hard boulder problem and several sections of burly overhung crack climbing. This route has long been a testpiece for climbers in the Boulder area.

Although the route is 5 pitches, many of them are very short. We linked pitches 1+2 and 4+5.

Routes climbed
NameGrade (YDS)# PitchesQuality (1-5)Type
Athlete's Feat5.1153.5trad

Peaks/Towers climbed
PeakElevationTopographic ProminenceSummit Coordinates (lat/lon)
Castle Rock8,049 ft240 ft39.97906, -105.45503

Gear
- 60m rope
- cams: doubles 0.2-2, singles 3, 4
- small-medium nuts
- 10 alpine draws

Total Stats
0.2 miles
250 ft gain/loss


Approach
This was less than 100 ft if one parked right below the corner feature on a dirt road wrapping around the east side of Castle Rock.

route overview 





























Pitch 1 (5.11, 50 ft)
The route hit us with its crux move almost right off the bat. I scrambled up a triangular flake, clipped a bolt, underclinged up a few feet, and clipped a second bolt. From there a deceptively hard mantle was required. I was initially stymied by this, taking several falls in the process of figuring out the correct orientation. After the mantle, I walked leftwards across a large ledge, passing a bolted anchor marking the end of pitch 1 before linking into pitch 2.

Pitch 2 (5.10d, 50 ft)
I continued up the obvious flaring right-facing corner with protected well but with strenuous-to-place gear. I arrived at the following belay (bolts) somewhat flash pumped.

Pitch 3 (5.10, 40 ft)
Brent led up a short right-facing corner with a combination of liebacking and jamming, taking care to not pull the loose-looking chockstones midway up. The pitch ended right above the corner at bolts.

looking up pitch 3





































Pitch 4 (5.10b, 60 ft)
This was a very fun pitch. I started up the lower angle slabby corner with some funky moves. Unlike the last few pitches, there was zero pump to be had here with the proper technique. The gear was plentiful and relatively easy to place. The pitch ended at a bolted belay. I kept going.

looking up pitch 4





































Pitch 5 (5.9+, 50 ft)
Just above the belay bolts for pitch 4, a fun 5.9 hand crack headed up above the main corner. I followed this for about 30 ft to where the crack flattened out into a ledge which kept trending left. From there I placed a thin piece out right and did a few sporty moves straight up to a large ledge with belay bolts.

looking up pitch 5




























Brent following with some exposure





































Descent
I belayed Brent up, and we uproped and scrambled about 50 ft to the summit of Castle Rock. We walked off the northwest side on class 3-4 terrain, passing by a couple anchors for optional raps.

scrambling to the summit





























No comments:

Post a Comment